Ontario County Patron's Fire Relief Association was established on June 12, 1877 for the purpose of providing insurance coverages at affordable premiums to members of the community.
On February 25, 1927 the Yates County Fire Relief Association became a part of the Company.
In 1970 the name was changed to Ontario-Yates Insurance Company specializing in farmowners insurance, homeowners, manufactured homeowners, fire polices, commercial property and liability packages and inland marine coverage.
In the 1980's, Ontario-Yates began to appoint independent insurance agencies. Previously only captive director agents sold Ontario-Yates products.
In 1995 Ontario-Yates charter was changed to an Advance Premium Company which allows the company to write other types of insurance policies not previously written.
Contractors packages, home based business programs, umbrella liability, business owner and stand alone boat owner policies have been added to accommodate the needs of our agents and insureds.
In 2001 the name was changed to Ontario Insurance Company to better reflect the broader geographic scope of operation permitted under the Company Charter and to enhance our marketing efforts and goals.
Today Ontario Insurance Company is a growing $5,000,000 Company with representation in over 130 Independent agency locations throughout New York State.